Explosive lobbed at Dumarao mayor’s house

UNIDENTIFIED ridingin-tandem suspects threw an
explosive outside the house
of Dumarao Mayor Mateo
Hachuela at Brgy. Poblacion
Ilaya on August 5.
According to Capt.
Achilles Fanco Jr., Dumarao
town police chief, their initial
investigation revealed that the
perimeter fence was hit with the
explosive and that they found
some shrapnel nearby.
Fanco also said, “We
do not discount politics as
one of the reasons for the
incident, since the Barangay
and Sangguniang Kabataan
Elections is approaching. But
we will still look into the result
of the investigation. We have
not received any information of
a threat against the mayor.”
Likewise, he assured the
people of Dumarao that their
police would maintain peace
and order in the locality.
For his part, Hachuela
said, “The suspects are just
creating a scenario to threaten
the people of Dumarao that
their place is not safe. But
Dumaraonons already knew
who the good and bad people
of Dumarao were.”
The mayor was out of the
house during the incident.
Hachuela also said the
suspects want to spoil the
enjoyment and peaceful
momentum of the people
because of the whole duration
of their festivities from August
“To create fear among the
people, they turn to grenade
throwing into my house but
I will continue to do what is
best for Dumarao. They have
been threatening whoever
opposes them during the
election, and they also threw a
grenade into my house during
the campaign period. But the
people have spoken, resulting
in my landslide victory. The
people have no alternative but
to support me to attain change
in Dumarao,” he said.
Col. Jerome Afuyog Jr.,
Capiz police provincial director,
said his men would conduct
a thorough investigation to
determine the perpetrators and
their motives.
He said that the Capiz
police will not tolerate such
acts and will make sure that
those responsible individuals
suff er the consequences of their
“I urge the community to
cooperate with the local police
by providing the information
that could lead to a solution to
the incident,” he said.
He added, “No one was hurt
in the incident, and we advice
the public to keep calm, be
vigilant and be mindful of their
surroundings at all times.”*