CAPIZ through the years…
1920 – The old two-storey municipal building, as captured in this year’s photo from Nereo Cajilig Lujan’s Album, was located on the site where the monument of Pres. Manuel Roxas stands today. This Capiz town or the “Presidencia” is believed to have built in the early parts of 1750s.
On the nearby site, where the president City Hall stands, situated the Capiz High School built in 1904. However, the school building was burned down and the Capiz High School was transferred to the present site on the top of a hill overlooking the city proper. The fire gutted building of the Capiz High school was replaced by the construction of the Community Hall (now the City Hall) then transferred on this site when the old municipal building was razed to the ground during the 1941- 1945 World War II.
Reference: City of Roxas: The Historic Founding by Ramon Balgos Atinon